I’ve always seen myself as a bit of a big kid, I absolutely love any racing toys. With that in mind, I picked up this Anki Starter Kit, it looked like a fantastic piece of kit for my son and I to enjoy during our spare time. It certainly didn’t disappoint!
This is a fantastically entertaining product and one I didn’t see myself having so much fun with. We’ve now spent so many hours with our Anki kit, it’s difficult to imagine a weekend without it.
The Anki Drive is a robot car battling game, much like something you might have enjoyed as a kid. However, there’s one big difference – you use your phone or other smart device to control the cars, bringing technology into the game.
If you’re looking to get started in the world of Anki Drive, then I’d absolutely recommend this starter kit as the place to start. This kit includes two car models, the Boson and Kourai, they’re both nice little cars for starting out with and do the job well. Also included is the 8.5’ x 3.5’ track that you can roll out onto any surface and get racing. What’s more, the track rolls up for easy storage when you’re not using it.
Said starter kit also includes a free download for the Android or iOS version of their app, which you and a friend can use to control your cars. Speaking of cars, you can purchase extras separately and have up to four friends racing at one time.
- Offers incredibly fun and easy to set-up gameplay straight out of the box. Anki can truly be played by children and adults alike, as we found out!
- The starter pack comes with two cars out of the box, meaning you can get started racing without the need to buy any additional pieces.
- Anki’s app is available on both Android and iOS, meaning that it can be played with any device running these popular operating systems.
- The included race track is pretty large and offers a good way to get racing, with there being little need to pick up an additional track.
- The included application has really fun functionality for customising your car’s stats and what it can do. It’s really fun to customise the car.
- Fantastic singleplayer modes with awesome AI characters called “the commanders”. Meaning you can play even without a friend around to play with you.
- Whilst the app works great on Android and iOS, it isn’t available on any other platforms. My wife wasn’t able to play it on Windows Phone, which meant she couldn’t jump in on the fun.
- Only 2 vehicles are included with the starter pack, meaning that you’ll need to pick up additional vehicles for additional players.
Conclusion: Anki Drive is a fantastic version of the classic slot cars toy. It offers really fun local gameplay with friends or family and the kit itself is incredibly well made. If you like the look of what Anki offers, this starter kit is a great place to start. That being said, it is let down by the fact that the app isn’t compatible with platforms other than Android or iOS and doesn’t even work with some iOS devices.
At this price though, give the Anki Drive a punt and you’re sure to have fun!